Saturday, March 12, 2011

A taste of homestay life in Mali

This is the process of bazan dying. Bazan is the nicest fabric in Mali. It's a shiny, waxy fabric that Malians only wear for the finest occasions, such as Baptisms, weddings or meeting important guests. For a SEDDIE field trip, we visited a woman's compound who dyed and sold bazan. This is her business in her home. 
On our way to Tubaniso for another training! These are my cluster mates Marlow and Josh!!
Bamako street vendors. Oh and that car is probably a Mercedes. Mercedes are everywhere here.
Driving through Bamako - this is one of many street vendors
Me and my host bros Ba and Muhammed!! 
This is me and Maman, she's my neighbor girl and she always comes to my compound. I taught her how to dance American style and play frisbee. She's a sweetie.
This is right outside of my compound's walls. The tin doors are the entrance to Marlow, another PCT's house. She has the crazy, vicious donkeys I hate that scream in the night. 
Welcome to my house! This is the entrance of my compound.
This is our well! This is the water I use for bathing/salidaga/washing clothes
Trash - Mali doesn't have a trash pick up system, so everyone just throws their trash on the ground. This is right outside my compound.
Our donkey cart. These are a major source of transportation here in Mali. They're all over the village and the road.
Marlow, me and Josh in our classroom
My compound, the washboard for laundry, one of our donkeys and that dog
My host bro, Ba, at our compound
THIS IS MY HOUSE!!
My compound on Sunday - laundry day. The bucket looking things in the back are the thing women pound grains/herbs in. clothes are washed in buckets outside with a washboard.
This is the random dog with a rotten ear that lives with us. This is the only breed of dog I've seen in Mali. They all look the same!!

No comments:

Post a Comment