Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two months of "work" - Going to site tomorrow

SITE TOMORROW!
Tomorrow I go to site for two months. During this "integration" period as Peace Corps calls it, we are banned from working and starting projects and leaving site. The point is to focus on language and assimilating into your site community, getting to know your community and its people, and to learn the needs of your community. 


It's a brilliant approach, and I wish all development organizations functioned in the manner that the PC does. Even knowing the greetings in Bambara builds so much trust and respect from Malians, because we are one of the only organizations here to get to know the culture and LOCAL language (not just relying on French). 


This is me at the American Club, pool side, the day we were celebrating officially swearing in as Peace Corps vols! I am wearing the hat I bargained in the Bamako market place for, for literally three hours. I brought him down 10,000 CFAs! This is a traditional Fulani hat, for the people who live in northern Mali, in the Mopti region. This hat is awesome and I hope to bring it back to Ameriki with me!
Many vols say that this integration period was one of the most challenging times of their service. It's such a perspective changer, as Americans are extremely focused on work, work, work and achieving quantifiable results from that work. 


In the next two months, work will be considered:
--> Drinking tea multiple times a day
--> Baroke, or chatting with Malians (Baroke is a major, constantly used verb in Bambara because Malians love chatting and spending time with each other)
--> Eating with multiple families every day
--> Greeting - in my last post I talked about the extreme importance of greeting here in Mali, in the local language. I will probably greet 100 times a day or more.
--> Yaala yaala'ing, or walking around - Being present is going to be a big part of my work during this time. It builds trust and shows Malians that you care about getting to know their community, which goes a long way. 
--> Focusing on my Bambara
--> Performing community needs assessments 


The Bambara language during language class. This lesson was about the imperfect tense and talking about our role as Peace Corps volunteers. It's not to give money, but get to know our community, its needs, and working with our service (first priority project) to bring ideas to the table. 
I totally love that this is considered work, because the workhorse that I am in America, had I never been here, would probably not value these actions as important to work. Mali has really turned my vision of work upside down, and many other things, and it's such a good thing. I wish every American would do the Peace Corps. This is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made!! 


With all of this said, the part that will be so challenging about these two months is filling my day with things to do, without having projects to focus on. I've heard vols say that the boredom and loneliness are most challenging. 


I know that a good attitude and taking integration seriously will be the best keys to success during this time, but also, doing things that make me feel sane. During homestay, I did a lot of journaling, random calling home, some reading (Chelsea Handler and Harry Potter, amazing), jogging with other trainees in the morning, and forcing myself to go outside and spend time in my homestay family and community when I just wanted to be alone, but also, spending some time alone when I felt I needed it. 


It also helped when my mom sent me two full boxes of snacks and clothes, because the Ameriki clothes helped me feel like myself again. 


Some of my host brothers/sisters and I - Attitude is everything! It's impossible to be sad or bored when you have so many sweet kids who want to be your friend! My host family at homestay is the sweetest, most generous family. 
To any vols applying for the PC, thinking about it, or about ready to go into your country, bring stuff that helps you feel like yourself. You'd never believe how much it elevated my mood to be able to wear clothes that I would actually wear in Ameriki (Ameriki is the Bambara word for America). Wearing Malian clothes is great, the tailors are awesome, and the fabrics are so interesting and beautiful, but doing that every day, or wearing hiking clothes every day made me feel like I was losing part of myself. These things are very important - we must assimilate and integrate while still retaining who we are. 


Tomorrow is very nerve-racking for me, but I know that I will be welcomed graciously and fully, that my family will be so happy to see me, that they will probably prepare their best meal to welcome me, that my neighbors, the school kids, the butiki owners, my jatigi (host family), and the women's association will probably say "I ni fama! I bisimila!" which means "It's been a long time, welcome back!!"


Malians are generous, giving and love you like you're their family
Malians touch my heart every day by their deep generosity, love of family, willingness to go to any length to make a guest feel welcome, that they take you into their home like you are their family, and their love for other Malians. It is one big community here. One big family. Malians have such great senses of humor, and they always make fun of each other! 


How can you ever be unhappy when the person around the corner is waiting to tell you that you are bad, you eat beans, you are a donkey, you drink nyegen water, you eat donkey meat, dog meat, or you're crazy?? That is so funny! Joking cousins are the best ice breaker, and as my LCF said, the way that all Malians keep each other equal. 


When we were swearing in at the President's mansion, when one of the swearing in volunteers gave a speech in the local language, Bambara, he made fun of the President of Mali by telling him he's a bean eater! But things are "equal" here in Mali, and their culture is beautiful for it. 


This is George, PCV, meeting the President after he just called him a bean eater!
Anyway, if there is ever a time to send me letters or packages, these first two months would be very important. It's challenging, but doable, and going to be a big eye-opener. A big tester to what I can accomplish - all - by - myself. 


My permanent address, from now on is: 


Laura Vest, PCV
Corps De La Paix
BP 71
Koutiala, Mali

Here are some things that would be AWESOME to get in a care package:
--Ameriki snacks!! Such as:
--beef jerky, drink mixes for water, kool aid, Ameriki tea, real, yet instant coffee, fruit gushers, fruit roll ups, granola bars (peanut butter, chocolate chip, etc), pop tarts, cheez whiz (there is NO cheese here), dried fruit, such as cranberries, cherries, bananas, apples, etc, cookies, oatmeal cream pies, anything little debbie, cosmic brownies (my favorite), gum, CHOCOLATE (maybe put it in plastic bags just in case it melts everywhere), candy such as red licorice, pixie sticks, blow pops, jolly ranchers, those strawberry candies with the goo inside, etc, mixes for pasta, and anything else that doesnt go bad during the shipping process
--Letter from YOU! I want to know all the details of your life,  what's going on in the world, in your state, etc
--Magazines! Such as Rolling Stone, Vogue, Marie Claire, US, People, etc
--Pictures
--Any new thing that I probably didnt hear about yet, that is still useful here, but is popular
--Any small, kids toys (For example, someone got those rubber band bracelets that are shaped like animals in a care package), this is good to give to little kids in my family
--Small bottle of hand sanitizer, lotion, shampoo and conditioner, etc - I love lavendar, vanilla, but nothing too floral (bath and body works is good for the small bottles of stuff like this, and it all smells wonderful)
--Anything else you think I'd like. 

Thank you so much!! Everyone's support is crucial, and it means more than I could say in words, so thank you. 

Talk to you all in two months! 

Laura AKA Ramata Coulibali 

1 comment:

  1. Laura this was a great blog. unfortunately I see not too many are posting lately. I hope everyone is reading these.I think it helps when you post this link on FB. I will try to send another package as soon as I'm caught up. Everyone here is living check to check. The gas prices are eating us alive. Love you and miss you sooo much. I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete