Thursday, May 19, 2011

Things that make me hopeful here

The little kids in my concession now use soap to wash their hands. One of the leading causes of death here of small children, babies, is dehydration from diarrhea. Simple hand-washing can prevent a lot. Of deaths. Of kids.

When my host dad bought a toothbrush and toothpaste. Toothbrushes and toothpaste are expensive here. Discretionary income that may not be available to the average Malian.

When the person sitting next to me while I'm reading, stutters through reading my reading materials. And looks at me, smiling, because she just read. A sentence. In English. One person at a time can break the illiteracy statistic here. Dooni dooni.

When girls raise their hands in school. Mali needs their participation.

When I look at younger people here, especially girls. And they smile, look down and laugh, shyly. I hope to befriend them. Women hold up half the sky.

When the babies in my concession kiss and hug each other. Sounds weird, but watching Malians show love is touching.

When I am finding more and more people who can speak English in my village.

When I hear stories like a Peace Corps staffer, who said his life was changed because a Peace Corps volunteer lived in his concession as a kid. And strongly promoted education. Now this Malian has a master's degree when 70% of his country can't read or write. He's doing his part to give back and change that.

When my host sisters tell me they want to go to college.

When the women of my village get together to clean up their community. They save their money and dedicate it to making their community a better place.

When I get a letter or message from home. I'm proud of you all too.

Although sometimes my dreams are vivid and make me sad, I'm here living my dream.

Dooni dooni. Little by little, or "small, small" as Malians like to say :)

1 comment:

  1. This is definately the saddest post you've done. I t really got to me. You're really special to do what you're doing. I love you and miss you. Mom

    ReplyDelete