Friday, January 27, 2012

Reflections, 358 Days

Being here in Mali allows me to do so many cool things with my time and my life. When my PC friends express concern that they're not going to obtain a job post-PC, I always remind them that their everyday life is the answer or the story for every interview question out there.

Interviewer: "So, tell me about a time when you had to be self-motivated."
PCV: "Well, that was my life for more than two years! I had to work in the middle of nowhere, barely able to speak the language, in an unfamiliar culture, adjusting to blasting furnace temperatures soaring over 100 degrees, kids screaming "White person!" at me, gawking, pointing, without a boss, a support system, English speakers, an office, written literature in an illiterate culture. Every day was a struggle to be self-motivated. But I did it. And I did it for more than two years."

Interviewer: "Can you describe a time in which you dealt with challenging people?"
PCV: "Well, I have two years of dealing with difficult people and situations. When you're constantly misunderstanding each other and don't speak the language or fully know the culture, it makes every single thing very difficult...When it's the culture not to show up on time and you've spent all week preparing for something only to have to wait for an hour...or four...and then they can barely understand what you say...Well, dealing with challenging people and circumstances was my life for more than two years."

Interviewer: "Tell me about a time you created something from scratch. Describe a time when you solved a problem. Explain a situation in which you showed leadership skills. Describe a situation in which you had to work with little or no resources. Tell us about an experience in which you handled several challenges at once, successfully, or a time you had to work under pressure. Detail a time when you persevered and didn't give up, but wanted to. Explain a time in which you didn't succeed, and how you handled it. Detail a work experience in which you had to think outside of the box. Elaborate on a situation in which you had to work under stressful circumstances and how you handled it..."

The list goes on. Peace Corps coaches us through every "challenge" question life could hurdle our way. When we leave this country, we will not only be better citizens of the United States, but more aware, insightful, alive, dynamic citizens of the world.

I've been in Mali about 358 days now. Yeah, that means that my one year anniversary will commence in one week. In one week, I will step forward from the "One Year Volunteer," to the new shoes of a "Second Year Volunteer."

Some PCVs describe their Peace Corps experience in two intriguing ways. One - it's all a dream. Two - it's a mini life. Agreed. I've described these same sentiments on this blog. In one week, the monumental occasion of my half-life will occur. I will be the equivalent of 50 years old. Wasn't it just a month or so ago, when I hit 37 years old? And I'm already 50??!! Wow, time sure zips by.

The life lessons I've learned here would require a book to illustrate them all.

Patience. Go with the flow. Perseverance. The journey. Have faith that life will connect the dots. Yes, we can. You get what you give. Think big. The secret to life is falling down seven times and getting up eight. Drink more water. It's all about the relationships. Just dance. Smile. A positive attitude is your best friend. Push yourself. The way you think matters. Stressed? Journal, work out, listen to music, talk to friends. Give back...and many more.

I want to write something official on the  year mark, so I'm withholding some of the lessons I've really developed here.

My sister emailed me the other day, responding to a previous email of mine during which I asked for her advice. She answered that, "Soon, Laura, I am afraid you won't need my wisdom anymore." Wow...

Living in a third world country with the everyday realities of Mali is not something that anyone just chooses to throw themselves into. This is something that only 200,000 out of the 300,000,000 Americans have taken an oath to uphold regarding their service to their country. This is an elite club of crazy, activists, people who are used to changing the landscape of the world around them, people who are used to getting it done...who come to places such as Mali and Ukraine and Vanuatu...and begin to comprehend the heart-wrenching realities of life on the other side...of the life of the forgotten majority...life of the unacknowledged majority of the world. And oftentimes, we waltz in with idealism and the passion to match, and immediately fathom that...it's not that easy. And that's when the answer to that interview question about dealing with failure and learning from it comes in.

The mornings when the alarm clock is snarling repeatedly. Beep! Beep! Beep! And you think, "Today, I'm just going to sleep in because I can...and because I just don't want to go outside my hut." But, you get up. You think about letting down the little kids you work with, or the street food lady smiling at you when she sees you. You pull on your Malian clothes. You jump on your bike and ride across town, though reluctantly, and you greet and wave excitedly at the locals on the dirt sidewalk. And you go and spend the day, drinking tea, eating with your hands, stuttering through Bambara, chatting and greeting at every corner. And next thing you know, the sun is setting and you did it. And it was a damn good day. That's when you can answer the interview questions with stories about self-motivation.

The late nights in our hut...when the only sound is the crickets or the mosquitoes buzzing in your ear...with thoughts bombarding you like a nagging kid tapping your shoulder. The nights when you sit there and honestly ask yourself if this is what you're made of. When you position your head in your hands and sigh out loud...and seriously ponder what the hell you were thinking of when you locked yourself into this decision. Those late nights...those are the ones that we look back on with strength and power and pride, after the fact. That's when the answer to the interview question about perseverance comes in.

At the end of the day, I know that I can't stride into my town of Kita and change the world. I just can't. Behavior change doesn't occur like that. But, I can do my best. I can make friends and peace. And I think the most valuable thing I will bring back to America in the next 15 months or so...is the character I built within myself. Because I will come back not as Laura Vest, but as a different, renewed, better, more honest, strengthened version of that Laura. And I'll be able to tackle anything life hands to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Laura, This blog wasn't about everyone just YOU for a change. Refreshing and much needed. You HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING ALREADY. LOOK AT HOW MANY SMILES YOU PLACED ON hopeless faces? You know who you are, what you stand for- where u belong. You are there. Don't look back, keep looking forward. I am beyond words, the pride I feel for you. Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura you are my inspiration. I know how it feels to be frustrated and hopeless but never as much as other's do day in and day out. You are a leader of change and you should be so proud of yourself! NEVER give up

    ReplyDelete